unlearn; v. [the act of unlearning; verbal n, to unlearn]
1. the act of releasing old knowledge.
2. to see the world not as one would like to see it, but as it really is.
3. to be un-uninformed.
4. to acquire wisdom either by replacing old information which has been supplanted by new knowledge or, alternatively, by relinquishing known falsehoods.
Unlearning is a critical skill, especially in today’s world of rapid and accelerating change. To understand why, consider this: scientific and technical knowledge is now doubling every seven years.
It’s been quite an incredible year in the education space. While we’ve witnessed a surge in the number of politicians with no education experience make decisions on how schools should run and a wider adoption of nonsensical ideas like the “flipped classroom” and value-added teacher evaluations, there have been some memorable, equation-changing events and initiatives that have emerged.
So, let’s highlight five of the most extraordinary things that happened in education in 2012:
- The Students Speak Out
- Alternatives to Higher Education
- Caine’s Arcade
- Chicago Teachers Strike
- Massively Open Online Courses—MOOCs
Illustration by Corinna Loo
What makes us successful: Gerd Leonhard presentation / talk at TEDxCollegeBeauSoleil (by TEDxYouth). Gerd adds: this is one of my best videos so far - check it out and spread the word if you like it.
Thanks to www.tedxbeausoleil.com and Nordanglia for providing this video.
“Gerd Leonhard is a Futurist and the CEO of The Futures Agency, author of 5 books, former musician and a globe-trotting keynote speaker on the creative industries, media and communications, social technologies, as well as on energy, the environment and green business. Gerd is currently focussing on sustainable future scenarios and what has been called ‘sustainable economics’, including the idea of adapting Internet and networked-society principles to the world’s urgent climate and environment issues. He is based in Basel / Switzerland; his new book ‘From Ego to Eco’ will be published in 2013….”
You can download the PDF with my slides here: http://gerd.fm/tedxbeau
- Exclusive audio-version of Futurist Gerd Leonhard’s talk on the future of TV and Media (Repretel Costa Rica July 2012) (futureof.biz)
- Disruption and Opportunities in Marketing: Futurist and Keynote Speaker Gerd Leonhard at ANFO 2011 (gerdleonhard.typepad.com)
- gerdfuturist: John Elkington on ‘The Zeronauts - A new breed of… (futureof.biz)
- New video: the future of the Internet, Data, Privacy and Information (Online Information Conference 2012 Keynote by Futurist Gerd Leonhard) (mediafuturist.com)
- Author / Marketer Rohit Bhargava and Futurist Gerd Leonhard… (futureof.biz)
The Futures Agency (TFA) helps brands, companies, organizations, governments and individuals to better understand - and then, act upon - the challenges and opportunities facing us in the next 3-7 years. We aim to find, filter and share actionable foresights, and work with our clients to imagine and design their preferred futures.
We are structured as a virtual organization with global reach, deep personal knowledge and real-life experience. We offer a variety of services to our clients, worldwide, such as seminars, keynote speeches, presentations & provocations, and general advise.
Promote Your Page Too
Search TFA and related sites: